Tuesday, February 26, 2008

everybody's free to wear sunscreen...

Don't go overboard. There is no reason for you to spend a lot of money packing for the Peace Corps. Brand-name outdoor gear will not make you a more effective or happy Volunteer.

When it comes to packing, "overboard" is all I know how to do. This is a practice in self-control and discernment and it feels suspiciously similar to shopping for a kid from one of those angel trees at Christmas. I know it's a boy and he's 7. Period. My understanding of what I should be bringing can be described as vague at best. Yesterday, I went shopping for a pair of shoes. I came home with six shirts and a pair of pants. I lack focus.

I'm taking the GRE Thursday morning. 24 hours before my flight leaves for Philadelphia.

Understand that friends come and go, but for the precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young.

I found a pile of cds I've been looking for. Just in time.


No comments: